Date(s) - 2020.12.4
10:00 - 16:00
Healthy soils are at the heart of the Green Deal for Europe.
Once lost, soils are non-renewable in terms of human lifetimes.
In addition to providing us with food, fibres and fuel, soils play a key role in regulating the Earth’s climate, providing us with clean water, protecting us from floods and preserves our cultural heritage.
The launch of JRC’s EU Soil Observatory will take place on 4 December 2020.
The new soil observatory is a dynamic and inclusive platform that will provide information and data needed to safeguard soils to the European Commission and the broader soil user community.
The event will be live webstreamed – time: 10.00 to 16.00.
You can pose questions while watching using Sli.do (enter the meeting code #JRCSOIL).
10:00 -11:50 Setting the scene: high-level panel discussion on policy outlooks and societal needs on the sustainable use of soil
12:00 – 13:00 Formal launch of the EU Soil Observatory
14:00 – 16:00 Technical implementation of Soil Observatory
- EU Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth
- EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development
- EC Joint Research Centre, Director General and Director for Sustainable Resources
- European Commission Policy Makers
- Presidency of the Council of the European Union (tbc)
- Representatives from Industry and the Research Community
- Chair Soil Health and Food Mission Board
- Key stakeholders
Detailed agenda will be uploaded soon.
For additional information email: EU-SOIL-OBSERVATORY@ec.europa.eu